What happens to our bodies as we age that affects our ability to drive?
Everyone’s heard (or used) the term “you drive like a grandma!” This term usually means that the other driver is going unnecessarily slow. Driving a little slower than the speed limit isn’t always a terrible thing. But, there are other disabilities elderly folks face while trying to drive.
Lots of things happen to humans as we grow older. Our memory deteriorates, our body becomes frail, we move slowly, and we are often in excessive amounts of pain. Yes, these things can absolutely impact our ability to drive. The result: driving like a grandma.
How does aging affect our physical abilities?
● Lack of coordination
● Lack of strength
● Vision and hearing impairment
● Other major health issues
How does this impact our driving abilities?
● It can get more difficult for elderly people to turn the wheel quickly due to diminished strength.
● Slower reaction times can be fatal in particular instances.
● It can become increasingly difficult to focus on all the factors that go into driving.
● It may become difficult for elders to turn their neck to check blind spots.
● Elders will begin to struggle with quickly moving their foot between the pedals.
By observing the driving abilities of our elders, we can have the life-changing conversation about whether or not they should continue to drive.
By: KayLynn P.
Do you have questions about your insurance? Find an insurance agent near you with our Agent Finder
Search for a local agent with our agent finder map.
Read more about KayLynn's background.
What Do You Choose to Read About?
From a Family Trip Downtown to Picking up Your Smartphone
Get More From Your Smartphone with These Life Enhancing Ideas
If You Haven’t Been Keeping Up, Electric Cars Are Coming Into Their Own
There are More Off-Campus Living Choices Than Ever
You May Listen Almost Every Day and Still Not Know These
It Seems to Have Happened So Fast, Didn’t It?
Not Including Your IQ, These Numbers Could Impact Your Life Most
You Can Still Get a Porsche Even if You Are Committed to an SUV
Try These Confidence-Building DIY Projects