What happens to our bodies as we age that affects our ability to drive?
Everyone’s heard (or used) the term “you drive like a grandma!” This term usually means that the other driver is going unnecessarily slow. Driving a little slower than the speed limit isn’t always a terrible thing. But, there are other disabilities elderly folks face while trying to drive.
Lots of things happen to humans as we grow older. Our memory deteriorates, our body becomes frail, we move slowly, and we are often in excessive amounts of pain. Yes, these things can absolutely impact our ability to drive. The result: driving like a grandma.
How does aging affect our physical abilities?
● Lack of coordination
● Lack of strength
● Vision and hearing impairment
● Other major health issues
How does this impact our driving abilities?
● It can get more difficult for elderly people to turn the wheel quickly due to diminished strength.
● Slower reaction times can be fatal in particular instances.
● It can become increasingly difficult to focus on all the factors that go into driving.
● It may become difficult for elders to turn their neck to check blind spots.
● Elders will begin to struggle with quickly moving their foot between the pedals.
By observing the driving abilities of our elders, we can have the life-changing conversation about whether or not they should continue to drive.
By: KayLynn P.
Do you have questions about your insurance? Find an insurance agent near you with our Agent Finder
Search for a local agent with our agent finder map.
Read more about KayLynn's background.
From Million-Dollar Legs to Kidnap Insurance: Unveiling the Quirky World of Unusual Policies
Auto Insurance Explained: A Comprehensive Guide to Protecting Yourself and Your Car
Sports Franchise Relocations: A Tale of Two Cities
Iconic American Landmarks: Unveiling the History and Reasons Behind Their Locations
Combating Insurance Fraud: Understanding the Risks and Taking Action
Beyond Nostalgia: Why Modern Cars Are Undoubtedly Better
Safeguarding Your Recreational Vehicles: The Importance of Specialized Insurance
Recapture the Fun of Childhood: 6 Activities to Revisit
Should You Drop Comprehensive Car Insurance on an Older Car?
Marital Bliss and Insurance: Navigating Coverage Changes After Getting Married