Cold weather is bad enough. We don’t want to add a head cold to the physical cold, that’s a double whammy. If you want to take preventative measures against illness this winter, there are healthy, natural remedies that can boost your immune system and fight the symptoms off.
1. Take Vitamin C supplements. The benefits of Vitamin C have been studied for years. It’s a strong antioxidant that helps boost your immune system. Although it’s not yet scientifically proven, some believe that taking Vitamin C can stop a cold in its tracks.
2. Probiotics. Studies provide evidence that probiotics can help fight off colds. There is “healthy bacteria” in probiotics that can kill the germs causing you to get sick. Probiotics promote gut health, and oftentimes, illness starts in the gut. You can take probiotics as a supplement.
3. Garlic. Believe it or not, garlic serves many purposes other than making your breath smell. . . garlicky. Garlic boosts immune function; it can decrease the risk of illness, the length of time in which you are ill, and reduce symptoms of your illness. Plus, it’s delicious!
4. Ginger tea. Ginger holds antiviral properties. When taken at the first sign of illness, ginger can help fight off a cold.
5. Steam. Boil a pot of water over the stove and inhale the steam. This will help with any congestion symptoms you are facing.
6. Zinc supplements. Zinc will help treat the symptoms of your cold.
7. Vapor rub. Breathe easier.
8. Add some raw honey to your tea. Honey will help soothe a sore throat.
9. Elderberry syrup. Elderberry studies have shown that they prevent the influenza infection and helps reduce the symptoms of the flu.
10. As always, stay hydrated.
If you start to feel a cold coming on, stay calm. Mother Nature has remedies for you to relieve the awful symptoms of illness.
By: KayLynn P.
Do you have questions about your insurance? Find an insurance agent near you with our Agent Finder
Search for a local agent with our agent finder map.
Read more about KayLynn's background.
Did you know that your rideshare work might not be completely insured? Before you get into an accident, this is what you need to know.
Tenants can come up with some truly creative ways to destroy a house. Are you protected?
Umbrella coverage is perfectly named as it describes an added layer of liability coverage across your personal insurance policies. Learn more on our website.
Teaching a teen to drive is already stressful enough. Don’t add uncertainty about your auto insurance policy to the mix.
Are you afraid of getting sued? If not, you probably should be. Luckily, you can protect yourself with umbrella insurance.
Home sharing has become an increasingly popular way to make extra money or meet expenses. Know the risks, however. Learn more about home sharing insurance.
Why is it called an insurance “premium” instead of cost or price? We don’t know either, but here are some common insurance terms everyone should know.
Food delivery service can be a good “side hustle” to make extra money. That is, as long as you are properly covered with auto insurance.
Life insurance offers an opportunity for you to leave a lasting legacy for your spouse, family or even a non-profit when you pass away.
If you are trying to save money on your auto insurance premiums, there are some ways to cut costs that may surprise you.